Monday, February 25, 2008

Some things are meant to be.....


A new day has dawned at TGF. Today (Monday, February 25, 2008) we closed on our farm. 26.404 acres just south of our house. It touches both E. 22nd Road and E. 2150th Road. Its story is interesting to us, perhaps it is interesting to you. About a year ago. (March 2007) our banker, Richard Bend called me and inquired if we had noticed the auction notices for some land that was close to what we currently farmed. I teased him about his unusual method of drumming up business. We talked it over and decided to go to the auction to bid on the property. I had a little health scare (breast-all is FINE, thank you) and wouldn't finish the tests until after the auction. Because of that and general unknowns, we decided to bid $X. It was interesting to go to the auction as the neighbors were all nosy and there not perhaps to bid, but more importantly to see who bid. If you've ever been to an estate auction, a land auction is similar. Our parcel was the last to be sold. The piece that sold ahead of our intended piece went for less than our maximum bid. I was sure that we were going to get the property and then someone from the doorway bid and when we reached our maximum, we stopped bidding. I was so nervous, I thought I was going to pass out-seriously, I thought I was going to hyperventilate. TGF had teased me that I would buy get my arms a-waiving and buy the farm regardless of the bid, but when the time came, I couldn't bid-it was all I could do to stand upright, he did the bidding for us that day. Anyway, we didn't buy the land that day and my health issue turned out to be nothing but a scare (yes, thank heavens). The new buyer planted it and by the beginning of the summer, we heard rumors that he wanted to sell it, pretty soon we saw a listing sign on the property and I checked it out. He had it listed for $10,000 per acre, definitely more than we were interested in paying. Cut to January, a Thursday, for some reason, I was home alone that day and I saw him come down and pick up some of the bales that he left on the property. I heard the tractor stop and then a knock came on the front door (no one who knows us knocks on the front door). He asked to speak with TGF who wasn't home. TGF called and we worked out the deal. Coincidence? I think not, but I'm a little nutty that way as perhaps you know. I plan to walk the boundaries of the property, make a snow angel in the middle of it and pray extra hard for soft rain, good sunlight and a bountiful harvest. I have recently come to discover that unconsciously more than consciously, I longed for the safety of owning a piece of "God's Green Earth" as my friend Janette says and today thanks to the banker, TGF and I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I email, I saw, I read, I wept. Congrats to my neighbors to the north and then east. That is a farmer's and more importantly, a farmer's wife, to own some dirt. Welcome to the club!! Run in it, play in it, throw some up in the air. Take off your shoes and let it squish through your toes--you have made a stake on your claim. Ain't it great!!!!!! ;)

Janette

Lori said...

Angie,

I'm so happy for you! I'm sure owning the land means a great deal to you. I agree, it's amazing how things work out. Providence smiled on you when the knock came on your door.

I love the image of snow angels in the middle of the field. I am so with you in spirit - I picture you smiling back at heaven with tears of gratitude as you lay there gazing up to the winter sky.

Congratulations, Ang.

love,
Lori